Here's a brief description of the new features in Mailman 2.1
The NEWS file contains a detailed summary of all new features.
Here is a short summary of other features in Mailman. For details,
please see the on-line documentation.
- Through-the-web list creation and removal (with automatic
support depending on the MTA)
- Multi-lingual support: list web pages and email notices can be in
any of nearly two dozen supported language, configurable
per-site, per-list, and per-user
- "Real name" support for members
- Much better password-less operation for simple user tasks.
- Support for personalized deliveries and
delivery for foolproof bounce detection
- Emergency moderation
- MIME-based content filtering, with demime/stripmime like options
- Regular expression based topic filtering
- Better membership management, including searching
- Re-organized administrative requests pages
- Moderated newsgroup support
- A new architecture for the mail delivery subsystem, removing
the dependence on cron, for better responsiveness and
- New moderation and privacy controls
- Autoresponse governors
- Users can now change some of their delivery options globally,
for all lists at a site, including their password, delivery
status, real name, etc.
- Much better MIME and I18n support in the archiver
- A separate "list moderator" role has been added
- Urgent: header support (bypasses digests to reach all users
- Web based list administration for nearly all tasks, including list
configuration, moderation (post approvals), management of user
- Web based subscribing and unsubscribing, and user configuration
management. Users can temporarily disable their accounts, select
digest modes, hide their email addresses from other members, etc.
- A customizable home page for each mailing list.
- Per-list privacy features, such as closed-subscriptions, private
archives, private membership rosters, and sender-based posting
- Configurable (per-list and per-user) delivery mode
- Regular (immediate) delivery
- MIME digest
- Plain (RFC
- Integrated bounce detection within an extensible framework.
Automatic disposition of bouncing addresses (disable,
- Integrated spam filters
- Built-in web-based archiving, with hooks for external archivers such as
- Integrated Usenet gatewaying.
- Integrated auto-replies.
- Majordomo-style email based commands.
- Multiple list owners and moderators are possible.
- Support for virtual domains.
- Runs on GNU/Linux and most Un*x-like systems, compatible with most
web servers and browsers, and most SMTP servers. Requires Python
2.1.3 or newer.
- An extensible mail delivery pipeline.
- High-performance mail delivery, with a scalable architecture.