[epicproviders] Epigram

seidbern at upstate.edu seidbern at upstate.edu
Tue Apr 2 10:44:09 EDT 2019

Epigram
April 2, 2019
Upgrade Weekend

We are upgrading Epic this weekend (early Saturday morning).  You will see some new functionality and some new feature in this upgrade, but, primarily, this upgrade sets the foundation for future upgrades. I hope you were able to attend one of the demo sessions our training team provided.

Some notable changes include:
> quote_type
> Inpatient Epic:
> quote_type
> > quote_type
> > Click here to see a summary
> quote_type
>
> • Haiku can now be used to place limited orders.  This is similar to the update to Canto last fall. You will be able to pale limited order but will not be able to adjust some of the fields in the orders (like frequent)- orders that you need to adjust will be cued into hyperspace for you to complete with your next log in.  How to make this more powerful: You can make the adjustments in your preference lists and then place the orders from your preference lists. Make as many copies of an order as you need for common adjustments in you preference list and you will be ale to completely order from there.  Over future upgrades, Epic will be enhancing this capability until all ordering can be done easily in Haiku or Canto
> • The Inbasket alerts at the bottom of the screen will now be at the top.- this is more consistent with the layouts where the top is not meant to be patient specific.
> • The in basket will now have the patient information on the left of the screen instead of a header. This report is more useful with better information. Note this is a preview of a significant change occurring in the next upgrade- this side bar will be come a “Storyboard” that will share information about your patient in a way that reduces looking though the chart (stay tuned!)
> • When presiding opioids y9ou can seed the maximum morphine equivalent dose for the order you are placing and all opiod orders combined.
> • When viewing notes for inpatients, you can now save customized views- this addresses one of the big frustrations from the last go-live when the view changed.
> • Ordering TPN: you will now see a Calcium-phosphorus solubility graph.
> • You will be able to make speed buttons to add information to a note as you type it.
> • There are improvements to med-rec
>
> Ambulatory Epic
> quote_type
> > quote_type
> > Click here to see a summary
> quote_type
>
> • Common messages will be show in cards next to your schedule (like phone calls to return)- note this will default to collapsed (hidden)  when you are in patient rooms
>     • Quick buttons will allow for faster responses
> • You can use drag and drop to custom your snapshot view to match how you like to view it.
> • The pedigree is much more detailed now and allows for color coding conditions among other improvements.
> • You can now send yourself reminder messages to follow-up with a patient directly from the wrap up area.
> • You can now choose to share a note with a patient (send it to my chart)- note this is an optional feature and one that is defaulted off for each note.
> [...]
To view all documents related to the spring 2019 update including radiology, op-time, anesthesia, stork and other area upgrades:  Click here

From the office of the CMIO
Neal Seidberg, MD
seidbern at upstate.edu
315-464-7507