[epicproviders] Epigram: Changes to help efficiency.

seidbern at upstate.edu seidbern at upstate.edu
Mon Jul 8 10:46:59 EDT 2019

Epigram
July 8, 2019
Fall updates: New way to save time and know more

Our fall update includes some big changes that will save you time. One significant change is called Storyboard.

Storyboard pulls information you need about your patient into one place and makes it easy to review and act on.

Storyboard shows you: Who your patient is, why you are seeing them, what is currently going on with them and other important things you need to see all in one place.

No matter where in the patient chart you are, Storyboard is a place where you can quickly take necessary actions on your patient without taking multiple steps to bounce around the chart.

How storyboard will save time:
	Epic has done monitored studies on clicks and screen changes saved by Storyboard. Here is some of their findings:
	These changes will add up to better efficiency of time but also reduce the mental energy needed to work through a chart.

What Storyboard looks like:
	Storyboard takes the current header and moves it to the left side of the screen. This saves screen space and allows for more information to be shown in ways that are much more intuitive, flexible, and actionable. The storyboard can change to match your role and where the patient is. Appropriate information is shown for outpatients. Inpatients, and ED patients will show information relevant to their encounter. OR patients show information about the patient but also information about steps needed to be taken prior to the OR (H&P, consents, etc.).
Below is an example of how the screen will look with storyboard. Note the activities are moved to the top of the screen as tabs (the example is for an inpatient).

	Areas on the storyboard allows you to point (hover) to see details or click to make updates and take actions.
		(Please note: the shown storyboard is not yet programmed and does not demonstrate many of the areas you will see that will help you- I am showing it as a demo so you can get an idea of what to expect)

Summary and next steps:
	This change will be one of the most signifiant visual changes we have made to Epic and it will take a little time to get used to. However, this change will significantly make information more efficiently available and actionable in ways that will save you time and energy. Over the next couple of months we will be working to refine how this will look and work in each area to best help you.

Notifications and scheduled sessions will be available to make sure you are ready for this change and that you have had time an opportunity to experience it.

What you should do:
	Please make sure to pay attention to updates and information about the this change. We will be putting out a lot of information to help you make this transition.

Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions about this change!

From the office of the CMIO
Neal Seidberg, MD
seidbern at upstate.edu
315-464-7507