[LabUpdates] Laboratory Formulary Committee Updates - Change to Thyroid Function Algorithm testing

Matthew Elkins ElkinsM at upstate.edu
Mon Dec 19 08:22:29 EST 2022

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D8C6A6.75AC0C30]

Medicine and laboratory testing are constantly changing. In an attempt to keep us all on the same page, the Laboratory Formulary Committee will be regularly sending out emails with recent updates and guidances.  A short description of the change is below.

Change to Thyroid Function Algorithm testing (LAB8954):  Based on current best practices for evaluating thyroid function, orders for the Thyroid Function Algorithm testing will be reflexed to additional testing as indicated below starting December 20.  The original serum sample submitted for the Thyroid Function Algorithm testing will be used for reflex assays as long as there is sufficient serum.

  *   TSH <0.450 we reflex an order of Free T4 (FT4) and Total T4 (T4)
  *   TSH 0.450-4.500, no reflex testing will be performed
  *   TSH >4.500 we reflex an order of Free T4 (FT4), Total T4 (T4), and Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody (TPOAB)

The Epic order for Thyroid Function Algorithm testing (LAB8954) is unchanged and will continue to be available in all ordersets/preference lists that currently contain that test order.
Orders for TSH (LAB129) test (without reflex testing) are unchanged.

For prior guidances, please visit https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://upstate0.sharepoint.com/sites/LaboratoryFormularyCommitteeLabchanges__;!!GobTDDpD7A!KOn_FxILUh_qJoR5pi8PGi8Tp5qNMe5lAcKSoa30II-RO61D-qXzdbbq1TgInyzVdthdb6I57_lqumcDcOBl76mDFDLI$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/upstate0.sharepoint.com/sites/LaboratoryFormularyCommitteeLabchanges__;!!GobTDDpD7A!fMqwKEI3JlieL_eF-Vo4vMVj2PNzfXcL0GsxYMLCbL6cXpbRqzmyQKWIxbV1BBgJ8OlmOsFv$>