[mdphd] Program communication

Tanner R. Thompson ThompTan at upstate.edu
Mon Nov 9 12:18:18 EST 2020

Hello all,

Hopefully everyone is able to enjoy a little of the great weather we are having. This week for Grand Rounds we will hear from Laura. I have attached her paper to review prior to class. As always, the zoom link is: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://upstate.zoom.us/j/972679869?pwd=eDcwejQ0eFZ1b1RORHY1VmVwVTQ0Zz09__;!!GobTDDpD7A!cHazw9uKO-z2e5guqd3WafTXi0ln2Os03ollzfuQysPOafdTbq1B-uTNiyGkzKOY8qwe$

Below you will find communication from Gentry:

Are you, like me, having trouble staying focused when you are working or studying from home?  Is your pajama-clad self distracted by video games, TV, pets, a fridge full of food, or the very nappable bed upstairs?

I'd like to set something up for this thing I've done before, "telecoworking".  Essentially, 2-4 people agree to meet online for work hours, say 9-5 (or whatever is possible/stomachable) in a video call.  Everyone shares their screen and keeps the mic on (assuming low to no ambient noise).  There is no requirement to be working on the same thing, it's just about accountability and shared suffering.  Sharing the screen provides a bit of a deterrent to getting lost in a Wikipedia rabbit hole or opening up Crusader Kings III for "just a few minutes".

Break times for such things could be scheduled, and like a real office, we may have to step out to take care of errands (but come back!).  And, if you get stuck on something or just need to rubber duck an idea, you have someone there you can talk to.  You don't have to commit to a whole week of 9-5.  Even just a four hour block on Wednesdays or something -- it would be great to have a standing appointment.

Anyone interested in an accountabilibuddy for coding, studying, thesis writing, video editing, CAD modeling, whatever, would be welcome to contact me.  Because Lord knows I need one.

Hit me up by email, text (817-300-6846), or Discord.

[signature_1923391756]<https://www.upstate.edu/prospective/>