[mdphd] request

Amit S. Dhamoon DhamoonA at upstate.edu
Thu Jan 13 10:09:49 EST 2022

Dear MD, PhD students,

For the MD, PhD students in their PhD years I had worked with Tanner to set up medhub evaluations for you and your preceptors. Apparently these were not sent out this last semester. For the PhD students, please confirm which preceptors you are working with so that we can get the evaluations out to the appropriate physicians. Please send me an email ASAP.

We are still working on finding a MD, PhD coordinator for our program. We will let you know when we have updates.

We have sent acceptances to five new students in this application cycle. I would like to arrange for multiple virtual interactions with our program. I would like them to join MD, PhD grand rounds for one of our sessions. Some students are concerned that there would be undue pressure on the student presenting the grand rounds. I agree that would be difficult but it would be helpful to showcase our students as well, so I have mixed feelings. I am happy to present a case and pause multiple times to get the thoughts and input from the group so that it is interactive. Hopefully this can showcase the skill sets of our students.

Two potential dates would include 2/17 and 1/20 if we do not want to use dates allocated for our student presenters. Let me know your thoughts on this.

In addition to this I would like the students to arrange for a more social event with accepted students. Please let me know who would be interested in taking care of this.

It appears that the medical school has extended the time for virtual learning through the end of January. We will have to extend our virtual grand rounds through that time as well.

For the students who are going to be finishing up their PhD years and joining the third year of medical school, I would like to meet with each of you over the coming weeks. It is imperative that you develop a timeline for finishing experiments, writing, and putting together your defense. In addition I need you to budget time for revisions after you defend so that you can submit your thesis prior to starting medical school. If I were you I would also budget time for a vacation prior to starting medical school. This process takes 3x as long as you budget and I do not want your reentry into medical school to be affected.

For all the students, please reach out if you need anything. My cell # is 315-263-8968.

Best wishes,
Amit