[mdphd] A Royal Jubilee (6-23 Grand Rounds)

Andrea Rhea RheaA at upstate.edu
Fri Jun 17 11:34:02 EDT 2022

Here, hear!

Dr. Dhamoon has declared the MDPhD family as members of a royal dynasty. For reasons unknown, I will be assuming the ultimate role as your Queen. This appointment is completely undeserved and sorely undemocratic but nonetheless, it has been decided and I cannot turn down a tiara-wearing opportunity. Therefore, I shall accept my royal status.

Like any good monarch would, I require a welcoming jubilee. (I am sorry about how terribly conceited this sounds but Dr. Dhamoon has put this idea in my head and I don’t know how to hold back).

Anyway, Her Majesty has called for jesters during this upcoming ceremony. I demand the most talented, intelligent, inspirational and wittiest of all the land. This is why, I am requesting that the MD/PhD candidates of Upstate attend as the official royal court jesters.

This most anticipated jubilee will be held on Thursday, 6/23, at one of our kingdom’s grand palaces at 3507 Setnor Hall. Please arrive promptly at 5pm (Yes- it's grand rounds).

I hope you will obediently accept my invitation.

As the royal jesters of the court, you are each expected to present me, the Queen, with an offering. I love Twix bars and wine but these offerings cannot be as such. Your offerings shall be entertainment-based. Performances of sorts. I am excited to announce that Dr. Dhamoon has humbly chosen himself as the head jester and plans to open the ceremony with his royal offering.

Contrary to popular belief, jesters were never considered “fools.” In fact, they had many talents and would eventually earn their right to land. The best ones would have freedom and would only be called back into the royal court annually for their talent to be showcased exclusively. I have not met all of you but I have studied your academic achievements thoroughly. You are all certainly impressive on paper. That isn’t a question. This gathering is a chance to realize another side of you. First and foremost, its purpose is for all of us to be together and mingle. Perhaps we’ll also be entertained, wowed and/or impressed. Perhaps we’ll laugh and “ooooo” and “ahhhh.” Perhaps we’ll ugly cry. Either way, we will all certainly have good food and enjoy each other’s company.

What offering should you consider for this lovely evening? Anything you can do that doesn’t require much preparation. If it were me, I’d make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich one-handedly in under 60 seconds because I am really good at that (two impatiently hangry children who love PB&J and hate using their legs). Perhaps you are a musician and you would like to serenade us. Or, you are able to deliver a short joke with decent comedic timing (something I could never do as an awkward human). Can you do a handstand? That’s crazy!

There are two requirements- you must participate and keep it short (between 30sec-3 min). If you’re stuck, don’t worry. I will bring my four-year-old's knock-knock joke book for any last minute ideas and a copy of “The Hungry Caterpillar” if captivating story-book reading is up your ally.

I am the kind of queen that works for you so let me know what questions you have or better yet, tell me if you need any assistance. I can’t wait to see those talents!

Your Royal Highness,

Andrea