[mdphd] discussion with physician scientists

Amit S. Dhamoon DhamoonA at upstate.edu
Fri Mar 4 09:05:49 EST 2022

Dear Colleagues,

it is important for you to have physician-scientist role models as MD, PhD students. We have arranged for two discussions that I would like you to attend.

On 3/31 we have invited Dr. Auyon Ghosh and Dr. Michaela Kollisch-Singule to talk with you about their careers as physician scientists. They are both Upstate alumni and have pursued research in their residency and fellowship. Dr. Ghosh is a pulmonary critical care physician and Dr. Kollisch-Singule is a pediatric surgeon. They both have negotiated protected time for research in their first faculty positions at Upstate. Believe it or not, you will be faculty in no time and you will want to hear the wisdom that they are going to share.

On 5/5 we have invited Dr. Karen Allbright and Dr. Mandip Dhamoon to talk with you about their research and clinical careers. Dr. Allbright is a stroke neurologist at Upstate and does very interesting work in precision medicine and epidemiology. Dr. Dhamoon and I share wonderful parents, some DNA, and a dry sense of humor. He is also a stroke neurologist and epidemiologist and has an active clinical, research, and academic career at Mt. Sinai, in NYC. Drs. Allbright and Dhamoon are further along in their academic careers and will be able to share struggles and victories of finding balance with research and clinical medicine over time.

Please make every effort to attend these events that have been arranged for your career development. They will be held through zoom so everyone can participate in the comfort of their own homes or the discomfort of their own labs.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Amit