[nursingnews] Nursing News - Vizient Quality Improvement Project Update

Nursing News List nursingnews at lists.upstate.edu
Thu Jan 4 11:34:10 EST 2024

Sent on behalf of Dr. Matthew Glidden, Chief Quality Officer...

Upstate University and Community Hospital are embarking on a Quality improvement project with the healthcare improvement company, Vizient, to reduce hospital onset infections. We will be targeting a reduction in Central Line Associated Blood Stream Infections (CLABSI), Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infections (CAUTI), and C. diff infections (CDI).

Progress on the project to date:

  *   Data was submitted to Vizient for analysis.
  *   Vizient performed an onsite assessment of practices at Upstate.
  *   Vizient presented their findings and reviewed recommendations with leadership.
  *   Multi-disciplinary teams have been formed for each type of infection. The teams will be deploying process and practice improvement strategies to the clinical areas and teams.

Starting in January 2024, these teams will be rounding in clinical areas and with Clinical teams speaking with nursing, physicians, and pharmacists to review lines, catheters, testing, diagnosing and antibiotic ordering practices and processes associated with these infections.

Thank-you for your cooperation and participation as we work together to improve the great care we give every day and keep our patients safe.

Matthew Glidden, MD

Chief Quality Officer