[epicproviders] Epigram: Pilot project (MyChart Bedside)

Epic - All Provider Staff epicproviders at lists.upstate.edu
Tue Mar 7 14:18:37 EST 2023

MyChart Bedside Pilot in Progress (Inpatient)

MyChart Bedside is an inpatient tool that is a companion to the existing primarily ambulatory MyChart website and application.  With MyChart (ambulatory), patients can see their appointments, medication lists, PHI (notes, testing results), and more. Patients with a MyChart account can view labs and notes in real time even when they are an inpatient,
MyChart Bedside has much of the same information for inpatients but also adds more information for the patient and provides communication opportunities. We are currently piloting this in 4W (CC), 6K and 11G. Note the data available in bedside is limited to data generated during the admissions only.

Features of MyChart Bedside:

  1.  The patient can make requests of the floor staff without using the beside call bell. New linen, a drink, and others are available.
  2.  Educational materials can be sent directly to the patient and, when discharged, will transition into MyChart itself to be available for the patient
  3.  The patient can see who is currently taking care of them based on the inpatient care team.
  4.  Like ambulatory MyChart, testing results are available as are the same group of notes that release today. There is not additional tests or notes released to the patient and the timing is the same as what they see in the current ambulatory MyChart.
  5.  Patients can see their last set of vital signs.
  6.  Patients can sign a limited group of documents in this software- something we will be expanding with time.
  7.  Other convenience information - access to menus from the cafeteria, etc.
  8.  Note-  the only information in bedside is information from the current admission, past information will not be available through this software.

For this project, we are providing ipads that will auto wipe when the patient is moved in the system. Patients who are enrolled are first vetted to make sure access is appropriate in their current setting. Nursing has worked hard to come up with an appropriate exclusion criteria.

The goal of this pilot is to make the patient more informed about their care and to help drive information to staff interaction outside of call bells and other intrusive alarms. The pilot will assess if patients feel more engaged and empowered.

Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions you might have.