[mdphd] Re: Urgent MD/PhD program

Alan Blayney blayneya at upstate.edu
Thu Mar 12 12:48:02 EDT 2020

Hi Andras,

I just want to offer some quick thoughts on the rationale presented by Dr.
Lesperance for why this change is being advanced.

I believe we should reject the premise that, "All [students who take a year
or two (or more) off between the pre-clinical and clinical years] should
have the same chance to express their preferences for certain schedules as
other students." Fairness does not always mean treating everyone exactly
the same way; it means treating everyone equitably. As Dr. Lesperance is
well aware, MD/PhD programs require students sacrifice 4-5 years on our
path to becoming practicing professionals. We do this in order to develop
skills that will allows us to make unique contributions to healthcare. The
program offers incentives in line with the importance of this training to
both Upstate and the larger health system, as well as to balance the
sacrifice we make to get it. Our priority during track selection is part of
the deal we were offered by the medical school. It's a small part of the
deal, but it's incredibly valuable to us. I will defer to our alumni on
elaborating the reasons that this is such a high priority.

I agree with Dr. Lesperance that there are arguments to made in favour of
offering the same treatment to other students who do not progress directly
from MS2 to MS3, however those arguments need to be made on their own
merits. It wouldn't be unreasonable to consider offering a similar perk as
a way of encouraging more students to pursue an MD/MPH; it's simply a
question of how much CoM values this type of training, and how much these
trainees would value the accommodation. Similarly, in the case of
individuals who take time off due to academic challenges during the
pre-clinical years, offering preference in track selection may be an
appropriate way of supporting these vulnerable students as they progress in
their training; however, that is a separate discussion that I will leave to
student affairs. I'm all for those conversations happening, but they have
no bearing on the topic at hand.

Thank you for your and Dr. Kotula's energetic support in this.

Best,
~   Alan Blayney

MD/PhD Candidate, Loh Lab
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, SUNY Upstate Medical University