[nursingnews] Nursing News - Expiration of COVID-19 Public Health Emergency

Nursing News List nursingnews at lists.upstate.edu
Thu May 11 16:41:51 EDT 2023

[alt_text]<https://www.upstate.edu/newsletters/mec/>
MEC Minute

>From Stephen Thomas, MD
Chair, Medical Executive Committee

Today's Minute
May 11, 2023

Team Upstate:

Three years and 100 days after the federal government declared a public health emergency in the U.S. due to COVID-19, today that declaration expires.

Many in our country and community returned to their 'new normal' months ago, but not Upstate. Our team has continued to care for those with and without COVID without interruption. For us there has been no great exhalation of relief signaling the emergency is over, but there have been incremental steps towards better days with less masking, less testing, fewer COVID infected patients, and fewer staff out of work due to illness.

We continue to face and surmount obstacles which stand between us and achieving our institutional potential in patient safety, quality, and developing and caring for our staff but, all we must do is reflect on our institutional performance during the worst days of the pandemic to ignite our optimism. Upstate demonstrated great courage at the darkest of hours and has come out stronger on the other side.

So many of you demonstrated the definition of courage which is not the absence of fear but the willingness to pursue your mission and do your job in spite of it.

Take some time today to reflect on the nearly 1200 days of the pandemic and feel proud for the role you played in supporting this institutions and our community's resilience.

Thanks for reading,

Dr. Thomas

MEDICAL STAFF SERVICES<https://www.upstate.edu/medstaff/index.php>

WELLBEING & MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES<https://www.upstate.edu/wellness/index.php>

PAST MEC MINUTES<https://www.upstate.edu/newsletters/mec/index.php>

Medical Executive Committee Mission
To pursue excellence in patient safety and quality of care through the leadership, development, and support of our medical staff. Visit the MEC website<https://www.upstate.edu/medstaff/med-exec-comm.php>

Medical Staff Services
315-464-5733
medstaff at upstate.edu<mailto:medstaff at upstate.edu>

(c) SUNY Upstate Medical University<https://www.upstate.edu/>