[util] Higher Temperatures

Kimberly J. Austin AustinK at upstate.edu
Thu Jul 6 09:35:06 EDT 2023

Higher-than-normal temperature is expected through the rest of the week for the central New York region.  The weather condition is forecasted to require increased electrical demand which will elevate the cost to all consumers.  To help mitigate the impact to our institution we need to look for opportunities for reducing electrical consumption.

Methods:

  *   Raise your thermostat up 2 degrees, seems like it will do little to help, but if many areas do this it will reduce the cooling demand on the main air conditioning units.
  *   Shut off lights not in use and or reduce light levels in your areas, this will help by reducing both electrical usage and reducing heat load on the cooling system.
  *   Shutting off electrical appliances/devices not being used or required for emergency standby
  *   Closing window shades and blinds will help by reducing direct sun light heat load .
  *   The most important is to ensure windows are closed to prevent the heat and humidity from entering the building envelope.

The size of our campuses is very large, and one person or department cannot do this alone, with everyone's help these simple steps can make a huge impact .

Thank you for your support with this request.

Respectifully,

[cid:image001.png at 01D9AFEC.B7564FD0]

Howard Lewis, CEM, MBA
Energy Manager, Facilities Engineering